Dirt truck birthday cake
Make an exciting cake that your kids will love! This chocolate dirt truck cake will be the star of the party.
You will need
- 3 x Noshu 98% Sugar Free Rich Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 x pack Noshu 95% Sugar Free Choc Baking Chips
- 3 x 7-inch (18cm) round cake tins
- Electric mixer
- Number stencil (make sure the number is smaller than 18cm)
for the cake
- 3 x sachets Noshu 98% Sugar Free Rich Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 1/4 cup milk
- 6 x extra large eggs
- 300 g butter (melted)
for the frosting
- 3 x sachets Noshu Chocolate Frosting Mix
- 210 g butter (room temperature)
- 6 tbsp milk
- 150 g Noshu 95% Sugar Free Choc Baking Chips
- 150 ml pouring cream
Preheat oven to 170°C (160°C fan forced). Grease and line the base of your cake tins with baking paper.
- Before mixing up your batter, you may need to halve the ingredients and make the cake batter in two batches, as there will be a large volume of batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine packet cake mix, milk, eggs and melted butter.
- Beat with an electric mixer using the whisk attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between your 3 cake tins and cover with foil.
- Place the 3 cake tins in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove cakes from tins and place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, slice the domed tops off your cakes with a sharp knife to even the layers. Make sure to keep the cake tops as this will be used for your “dirt”.
- To prepare frosting, add room temperature butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add frosting mix, 1 tbsp at a time, beating on medium for a further 3–4 minutes until frosting is smooth.
- Add the full cream milk and beat on high for an additional 2 minutes until frosting is aerated and doubled in volume.
- Using a spatular, spread a thin layer of frosting between the cake layers before applying the frosting on the top and lightly to the sides of the cake.
- Scrape and smooth the frosting on the cake with a spatula. Refrigerate to set while you make the ganache.
- Pour cream into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer on low heat.
- Place your choc chips in a bowl and slowly pour over the hot cream. Stir gently to form a smooth ganache.
- Gently pour ganache over the edges of cake as desired. Let the cake set in the fridge before you finish decorating.
- Using your remaining frosting, spread a thin layer on top of your cake, then place your number stencil in the centre.
- Blitz your domed cake tops in a blender for a few seconds until you get a crumb consistency.
- Generously sprinkle the crumbs over the top of your cake, then remove your stencil.
- Place a truck figurine at the end of your number to finish!
Keep chilled in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.