Surprise and delight your party guests with this fun dinosaur cake! Don't be fooled by how it looks, this cake is super easy to make and it tastes decadently rich, while still being low sugar.
You will need
- 4 x Noshu 98% Sugar Free Rich Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 x pack Noshu 97% Sugar Free Dark Choc Baking Chips
- 2 x 18cm (7-inch) round cake tins
- 1 x 13cm (5-inch) round cake tin
for the cake
- 4 x Noshu 98% Sugar Free Rich Chocolate Cake Mix sachets
- 3 cup milk
- 8 extra large eggs
- 400 g butter, melted
for the frosting
- 4 x sachets Noshu Chocolate Frosting Mix
- 280 g butter (room temperature)
- 8 tbsp milk
- 150 g Noshu 97% Sugar Free Dark Choc Baking Chips
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- Mint leaves
- Dinosaur figurine
Preheat oven to 170°C (160°C fan forced). Grease and line the base of your cake tins with baking paper.
- Before mixing up your cake batter, you may want to divide the ingredients in half and make the cake batter in two batches so that it is easier to mix as it will be a large volume of batter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine packet cake mix, milk, eggs and melted butter.
- Beat with an electric mixer using the whisk attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide the batter evenly between your 3 cake tins and cover with foil.
- Place the 3 cake tins in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes. Your cakes are ready when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove cakes from tins and place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, slice off the domed tops of your cake with a sharp knife to even the layers.
- Add room temperature butter to a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add frosting mix, 1 tbsp at a time, beating on medium for a further 3–4 minutes until frosting is smooth.
- Add milk and beat on high for an additional 2 minutes until frosting is aerated and doubled in volume.
- Using a spatular, spread a thin layer of frosting between the 2 7-inch cakes before applying the frosting on the top and lightly to the sides of the cake. Apply frosting to the top and sides of the 5-inch cake.
- Smooth the frosting using a large spatula or scraper, then chill the cakes in the fridge for 30 minutes so the frosting is firm to the touch.
- Place choc chips and oil in a microwave safe bowl and melt on low heat in 20 second increments, stirring well in between, until completely melted.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread your melted chocolate over your baking paper in a thin layer. As the chocolate begins to set, roll up the baking paper and refrigerate the roll for at least an hour so the chocolate is completely set.
- Gently place 5-inch cake on top of your 7-inch cake.
- Remove chocolate roll from the fridge and unroll the paper. The chocolate should break up to create pieces of “bark”.
- Decorate around the edge of the cakes with the bark pieces and mint sprigs. Top with the dinosaur figurine.
Keep chilled in an airtight container for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.