Low sugar Christmas trifles
An iconic Christmas dessert in single serve form with a cherry and coconut twist!
You will need
- 1 x Noshu 98% Sugar Free Vanilla Velvet Cake Mix
- 2 x Noshu Dark Chocolate Cherry and Coconut Indulgence Bars
- 1 x punnet fresh cherries, stones removed and cut in half
- Electric mixer
- 30 x 20 cm rectangle cake tin
- 6 x serving glasses
for the cake
- 310 g Noshu 98% Sugar Free Vanilla Velvet Cake mix
- 2 x extra large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 85 g butter, melted
for the custard
- 400 ml milk
- 4 x large egg yolks
- 1 x sachet Noshu Vanilla Velvet Frosting
- 60 g Noshu 98% Sugar Free Vanilla Velvet Cake Mix
for the jelly
- 1 x packet of your favourite jelly (we used low sugar raspberry and port)
for the cream
- 300 ml thickened cream
Preheat oven to 140°C (150°C fan forced). Grease and line your cake tin.
- Prepare your favourite jelly according to the instructions on the box. When cool enough, fill the base of each serving glass with your jelly liquid and refrigerate until completely set.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 310g of cake mix sachet, milk, eggs and melted butter. Beat with an electric mixer using the whisk attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into your cake tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove cake from tin and place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled, cut out 6 circle pieces of cake that will fit into each serving glass. Place aside.
- Heat milk and frosting mix over medium heat in a saucepan until it starts bubbling. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and the remaining cake mix until smooth.
- Pour 1/4 of your hot milk into your egg mixture to bring eggs up to temperature, then gradually add the rest of your milk while continuously whisking. Pour the custard mixture back into the saucepan and continue to whisk over a medium heat until mixture becomes smooth and very thick.
- Pour the custard into a bowl and cover with cling film, touching the top of the custard so it doesn’t form a skin. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour thickened cream into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until soft peaks form. Make sure not to over whip your cream or it will split.
- Once the jelly is set, place in your layer of cake and top each with cherries.
- Gently pour your custard into each serving glass to cover cherries then allow this to set in the fridge until custard is slightly firm.
- Finally, top each trifle with a layer of whipped cream and your Dark Chocolate Cherry and Coconut Bar. Enjoy!
Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.