Christmas Linzer biscuits
There’s nothing more festive than Linzer biscuits at Christmas time, and you’ll enjoy these even more knowing they are much lower in carbs and sugar thanks to our 98% Sugar Free Vanilla Velvet Cake Mix. Enjoy them with your favourite low sugar jam!
You will need
- 1 x Noshu 98% Sugar Free Vanilla Velvet Cake Mix
- Linzer cookie cutter
- Digital kitchen scales
- Electric mixer
for the biscuits
- 270 g Noshu 98% Sugar Free Vanilla Velvet Cake Mix
- 165 g almond meal
- 120 g plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 x extra large egg
- 2 x extra large eggs (yolks only)
- 170 g butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 small lemon (zest only)
- Pinch salt
for the filling
- 1/2 cup low sugar jam (we used raspberry and apricot)
Preheat oven to 170°C (160°C fan forced) and have your 2 baking trays ready.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and pale in colour. Add your egg yolks, egg and vanilla, and continue whipping on medium speed until fully combined and fluffy.
- Add vanilla cake mix, almond meal, plain flour, cinnamon, salt, and lemon zest. Using your hands or the electric mixer on low speed, mix until a dough forms.
- Place your dough on a lined plate, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once the dough has rested, take it out of the fridge and let stand for 15 minutes. Put 2 pieces of baking paper directly on your counter and dust your rolling pin lightly with some plain flour. Roll the dough out thinly on the baking paper sheets to about 4 mm thick. Take your cookie cutter and cut your shapes out. Lift away the excess dough, leaving your shapes on the baking paper.
- Roll out the excess dough to the same thickness and repeat the process until your dough is used up.
- To create the top half of your biscuits, take your mini cookie cutter and cut shapes into half of your biscuits to create the jam window – and if the shape you are stamping out doesn’t come out with the cutter, use a tooth pick to help. Add the offcuts together for re-rolling and repeat the process again to use up all of the dough.
- Carefully pick up the baking paper with your biscuits and place them onto your baking trays. Refrigerate them for 30 minutes to help the biscuits keep their shape.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown and biscuits feel firm to touch. Transfer your biscuits to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before assembling them.
- When the biscuits are completely cooled, spread about half a teaspoon of jam over your bottom biscuits. Pick up your top biscuits and carefully place them on top of the jam. Voila! Your Linzer biscuits are ready to enjoy.
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.