lower sugar Christmas fruit cake
Keep Christmas desserts traditional and lower in sugar with this decadent, Lower sugar version of the classic festive favourite.
You will need
- Digital kitchen scales
- 1 x 15cm (7-inch) round cake tin
- Electric mixer
- 1 x Noshu 98% Sugar Free Vanilla Velvet Cake Mix
for the cake
- 280 g Noshu 98% Sugar Free Vanilla Velvet Cake Mix
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp brandy or spiced rum (replace with more orange juice for a non-alcoholic version)
- 50 g sultanas
- 30 g mixed peel
- 50 g currants
- 40 g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 70 g almond meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 40 g butter, melted
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 x large egg
- 40 g macadamia nuts
- 40 g flaked almonds
- Zest of half an orange
- Blanched almonds (optional)
- Glace cherries (optional)
for the glaze
- 1 x sachet Noshu Vanilla Frosting Mix
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp brandy or spiced rum
Preheat oven to 140°C (130°C fan forced). Grease and line your cake tin.
- For the cake, place your juice, alcohol, sultanas, mixed peel, currants and apricots in a small bowl. Set aside and allow the fruits to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together your cake mix, almond meal, and spices with a spoon until fully combined. Add your butter, milk and egg and mix with an electric mixer for 1 minute on low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and mix on medium/high speed for another minute. Fold through your soaked fruit mix (including liquids), macadamias, flaked almonds and orange zest with a spatula until fully incorporated. Pour your cake batter into your prepared cake tin.
- Cover cake tin with foil and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, bring your frosting mix, orange juice and alcohol to the boil and stir with a spoon until thickened and quite syrupy. Brush the glaze evenly over the cake (you can do this while the cake is still warm straight out of the oven).
Enjoy warm with double cream or our vanilla custard!
Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.